Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bernzomatic!

Gotta love new tools! This Bernzomatic 8000 propane torch set me
back about $50 at Home Depot. However, it has already proven
its worth.



With a little help from my father, we were able to heat up the
transmission case to my Puch ZA50 engine and within a matter
of minutes the bearings dropped out. After soaking the bearings
in WD40 and engine degreaser for about an hour, I now have 2
perfectly usable bearings. Good as new!



I plan on using the Bernzomatic to melt the Lock-tite on the
screws housing the shift dampeners. I also will be using the
torch to heat up the steering restrictor on the Magnum frame
to be able to bend it back into place without snapping it off.
I highly recommend getting one of these if you are planning
a moped rebuild on any kind. It gets the job done!

3 comments:

  1. please get new bearings. They are dirt cheap and good safety insurance. Check out the puch factory service manual on mopedwiki or MRA for bearing sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cuperzacko, where are you finding these bearings for sale? what's dirt cheap? I had my buddy Ryan Due over at Orphanage Mopeds look at them yesterday, he said they should be good. Plus he talked to Graham at 1977 who said he never replaces ZA50 bearings. Says they are almost always salvageable. Anyway, get back to me with where you are sourcing your bearings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need one 6002 (front of case) and one 638 (rear of case). I really hope Graham is replacing the bearings if 77 is charging $275 for a motor rebuild, and I don't think just new seals count as a rebuild. The crank bearings are harder to find, but they have been popping up on ebay occasionally (from a seller in hawaii) and they are either $20 or $40 a piece. Good insurance.

    ReplyDelete