Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Zink!!!

Seized my Polini kit returning home from work last night over
the Williamsburg bridge. I had about +100 miles on the kit before
taking it over the bridge. I hadn't tested it on any inclines though.
I wasn't even close to pushing the bike hard, I was off the throttle
for at least 10 sec when it happened and was only about 3/4 throttle
up till then. I'm certain it wasn't an airleak, possibIy a fuel supply issue.
I guess it's no joke that these kits are fragile at the start. Lesson learned.
Fingers crossed it was a soft seize. I won't be able to pull the engine
apart till at least Friday. I'll have pics and an analysis. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. off the throttle means no gas/oil mix is getting in the cylinder to keep it cool. when bombing hills, you gotta stay on the throttle, or at least blip it every couple seconds.
    do you think that's what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly... I definitely got nervous approaching the crest of the bridge and was intentionally easing off the throttle. I sensed it happening, I heard the cylinder starting to ring, that's when I let off. Then like 10-15 sec later, pop, zink! I'll post damage photos by this weekend.

    ReplyDelete