Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stay tuned for more Tuning

I got the Mini Magrun in running shape this weekend. I ran into
some exhaust gasket and base gasket leaks due to cruddy gasket
sealant. It was an easy fix once diagnosed, but I wasn't left with
much time to dial in the jetting and timing.

The throttle lags, not bogs, on take off. I think my timing might be
a tad too advanced. The manual to my Power Dynamo CDI claims
that 2mm BTDC is the place to be. I might set it to more like
1.7-1.8mm and see where that gets me. May even give 2.3mm
a shot just to compare. The bike is a bit heavy due to the mags,
powder coat, EBR Hydro forks, and the front brake caliper. These
are all things I think that might be affecting the running condition
of bike off the line. I do sense a lack of immediate response of the
throttle aside from the weight that makes me think a timing issue
is still the target culprit.

More on this later as I learn the finite in's and out's of this bike. I
managed to ride the Magnum over the bridge today into Manhattan
to work. It was stop and go 2 lane traffic the whole way and I had to
do some trick lane-split maneuvering for almost the entire trip. I did
open up on the pipe just a bit coming off the bridge. The Rev-Run
hits hard in the 35-40 mph range and I have yet the room to top it
out here on these short and busy city streets. I'm sure my low end
torque will improve once my timing is more dialed in.

Check out this music video for Summer Camp's "Round the Moon."
It reminds me of a weekend of typical moped gang antics here in
Brooklyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment