Friday, August 20, 2010

Ped #10: TSM

I picked up my 10th moped last weekend, during the PEDS rally in NYC.
It's my 3rd variated bike, and my first variated top tank, as well as my
first French bike. Having just torn this thing down I'm already in love
with it!

Here I am packing it up into my car from down in Staten Island on Sunday
morning before the PEDS 3 borough ride. I won the TSM in an Ebay auction
the day before. The seller even gave Beth and I a box of baked goods from
his bakery. Best Ebay seller ever!



It's now sitting in my apt in Brooklyn. Here are some photos I took while
tearing it down.





The bike is complete with exception for the front fender. It has 550 miles
on the speedo, which is still functional. The TSM has obviously been sitting
a while, stored outside and caked in mud. The tank, seat and trim are all
in amazing shape despite the neglect. I was hoping to do a little
maintenance and get this running stock before season's end. I don't think
this will be possible due to the condition of the stock exhaust. It was filled
with rust chip and there was no seal between the header pipe and baffle.
So rather than slapping it together or shelling out $$$ for a stockish exhaust,
I'm going to take my time with this build,like my mini magnum, which I'm
approximately 1 year into as of this week. First step for the TSM is to powder
coat the subframe in the next month, then I'll take it piece by piece from there.
I'm thinking Malossi case, 70 Gilardoni, Doppler pipe, etc. I'm still doing my
research. I'll keep you posted.

In other news, The Magnum will be coming with me upstate this weekend to
finally become road-worthy. I wish I had taken video of it when I had it running
at the Orphanage the weekend before the rally. I need to invest some hours
into timing the powerdynamo CDI. Seth lent me his timing light. It will be nice
to work in a garage facing a quiet lake, rather than laying on a busy sidewalk.
Wish me luck!

Last, I'm putting the PA50-II into retirement for the season. It performed
beautifully during the rally. The pipe is getting louder. I might have an air leak
growing from the cylinder. I also need to do some work to the rear brake and
rear wheel bearings. It requires more time and $$$ that I'm not willing to
invest right now. See you in 2011 buddy!


1 comment:

  1. Hey, I talked to you at the Cove during the rally. Let me know if you still need any pointers for timing the cdi.

    ReplyDelete