Monday, October 19, 2009

Puch ZA50: Replacing Shift Dampeners Part 1

So here's the deal. I tried removing the gear housing to the shift
dampeners using the Bernz-o-matic torch technique because I don't
have a bench vice in Brooklyn. I had absolutely no luck. I even
bought the largest screw driver known to man and hand Dremeled
the 3/8" head till it was wide enough to fit snugly into the housing
screws. Still no luck.


I have both a bench vice and an impact driver in Connecticut.
My father was actually the one who suggested I try this technique
to loosen up those screws. I was nervous at first because I didn't
want to damage the screws or the gear.


Luckily I had some thin MDF board lying around the garage
and decided to shim the gear shaft in the vice to protect it.


Next, I shimmed the underside of the gear with thin pieces of MDF
board to soften any impact the hammer and driver would have on
the gear itself.


About 3-4 hits per screw and I was in business. The impact driver
made all the difference and I swear by this technique. If I hadn't
torched the gear there even would be no messy clean up of the
melted pucks.



Plus, the screws remained in perfect condition. I wish I hadn't
buggered them up with the 3/8" screwdriver. However, the 3/8"
impact driver bit was more of a proper fit.

I have a theory on why the Bernz-o-matic technique failed me.
Despite torching the screws for almost 5 mins, the screws were
tighert than ever. I know that the metal in the screws is much less
dense than the metal inserts of the gear housing. Torching the
screws probably caused them to expand with even more force
into the surrounding metal inserts creating an impenetrable seal.
Anyway, try both techniques and decide which works best
for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment